VENTIMIGLIA ALTA

Welcome to the web site of

Ventimiglia's historic centre

     

Some History

Monuments :

The Cathedral of Ventimiglia

San Michele Romanesque church

The Canonichesse Lateranensi Convent

The Aprosian Library

Porta Canarda fortified town gate

The Annunziata fort

 

The Neighbourhood Residents' Committee

Photo

How to arrive

Where to stay

Contact us

Ventimiglia Alta is the oldest part of the town, and the part that is richest in history: within its boundaries can be found the cathedral and baptistry; the Canonichesse Lateranensi convent; the former church of San Francesco, the church of San Michele, and the 16th C fortification walls which enclose older medieval walls.
Porta Nuova is a characteristic entrance to the old town. The imposing Canonichesse monastic complex, built on the remains of the 11th centuary castle of the Counts of Ventimiglia, occupies the highest part of the hill. Remains of the castle’s manor house were revealed in 1943 during excavations carried out by the State to ensure public safety.
The Piazza della Cattedrale (Cathedral Square) is Ventimiglia Alta’s monumental heart: as well as the cathedral and the convent, the Bishop’s Palace and the former Town Hall face on to it.
Medieval Ventimiglia was divided into quarters and then into sestiere whose names reflect its progessive expansion:
Il Castello (the Castle) – today’s sestiere Piazza; il Borgo (the Village) built up around the foot of the castle; il Campo (the Field) towards the north; il Lago (the Lake), l’Oliveto (the Olive grove) la Marina and il Cuventu (the Convent). Il Cuventu includes the ancient Agostinian Convent in the centre of the new town.

 

 

Map

The Botanical Gardens

Where to eat

Where to stay

Associations

Ventimiglia Town Counsil

Imperia's Province

Liguria Region

Events

Links